THE FOLLOWING ROADS IN COLINGTON HARBOUR – COLINGTON DRIVE AND ALL SIDE ROAD THAT INTERSECT WITH COLINGTON DRIVE – WILL UNDERGO AN ASPHALT REJUVENATION PROCESS BEGINNING DECEMBER 1st THROUGH DECEMBER 7th. THE SCHEDULE AND DURATION MAY NEED TO BE MODIFIED DUE TO INCLEMENT WEATHER.
To provide some context for this project it is important to understand that the roads in Colington Harbour are one of our most significant and costly assets and extending the useful life of our roads is important for the financial well being of our community. The classic approach to aging pavement is to undergo a very costly “mill and repave” process. Now many communities are electing instead to undergo a pavement rejuvenation process that extends the life of existing pavement and delays the more costly “mill and repave” scenario. Unlike traditional sealers, the rejuvenator penetrates the asphalt binder resulting in a road that is more elastic and pliable and better able to withstand wear and tear. Pavement rejuvenation ultimately extends the life of a road.
Your Board has hired Total Asphalt to rejuvenate our roads. It will be sprayed onto a particular section of pavement in our community each day. It will be applied first on one lane of the road, then on the other. Accordingly, with one lane closed and one lane open, travel on the roads will be possible during the application. However, we want to try to limit the traffic in the section for the day it is being treated. While the rejuvenator absorbs rather quickly, ideally it should not be driven on until Total Asphalt opens the lane.
The rejuvenator is a clear liquid that is environmentally safe. When the rejuvenator is applied, the pavement will look wet. This wet appearance will disappear in a relatively short period of time and the roads will again appear as they do now. During application and for a little while afterwards there will be a noticeable odor (sometimes described as a “citrusy cleaner smell”).
To ensure the rejuvenation project goes smoothly it is important that property owners assist with the following items:
- Irrigation systems/sprinklers must be turned off the day before treatment of the roadway.
- Normal mail delivery, UPS/FedEx deliveries and other types of deliveries can take place, however, there may be a wait time for a short period while the lanes are being opened or closed. If possible larger deliveries (such as furniture/appliances) should be rescheduled.
- No lawn care the day of treatment in your section. Be sure all grass clippings, tree limbs, etc. are removed from the road.
- Cars and trucks cannot be parked on the shoulders of the road on the day of treatment due to possible obstruction of treatment equipment. TOWING WILL BE ENFORCED
- It is preferable that any work being done at your home or lot by contractors does not occur on your scheduled day, to limit the amount of commercial traffic on the roads. There can be no large construction equipment traveling on the roads in a section being treated.
- No walking or driving on areas treated until approved and/or opened by Total Asphalt.
- Should pets, or a child/adult walk on the treated area prior to Total Asphalt re-opening your segment of road you may want to wash off their paws or feet etc. using Dawn dish soap fairly soon after walking over the treated areas.
- Traffic control will be provided by Total Asphalt. Alternating lane closures during treatment will be controlled by Total Asphalt using signage, traffic cones, stop/slow signs as well as flaggers.
- When working on a street please limit the amount of traffic to a minimum. We would like to minimize the risk of tracking and keep the least amount of vehicles and people off the roadway until we are completed and it is ready to be utilized as normal.
- See the three separate files, below, outlining the treatment schedule map, resident checklist and a list of streets with their date of treatment.
We will provide further updates leading up to the start of the project and immediate updates if the schedule for the of work on a section changes due to weather. If you have any questions, please contact the CHA office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 252-441-5886.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation!!!